“Work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation.”
We are an independent democratic organisation researching and campaigning for progressive regionalism and devolution for the North of England. We want to stimulate new thinking about ways of getting a stronger voice for the North.
We are inspired by Hannah Mitchell (1872-1956) – an outstanding Northern working class feminist, co-operator and socialist who served as a councillor in Manchester for many years and believed in an inclusive and open approach to politics.
We are a democratic member organisation you can join. We rely on donations from supporters to keep going – find out more about membership and donations here.
- True North: a national anthem for the North?What song or music would make the best regional anthem for the North?
- Report of HMF public meeting ‘Real Levelling Up’Full report and video of meeting featuring Thelma Walker, Natalie Bennett, Alex Sobel MP and Neil McInroy
- Resolution passed at the HMF AGMFull text of the resolution adopted by the Annual General Meeting of the Hannah Mitchell Foundation, 4 December 2021 RecognisingContinue reading “Resolution passed at the HMF AGM”
- News from HMF, November 2021AGM on 4 December; Radical options for a more democratic North; HMF in Big Issue North; Peoples Powerhouse convention
- Options for regional devolution in the NorthAn attempt to boil down the very large number of potential ways of organising regional devolution for the North into four options for further debate.
- A history of devolution and the North since 1997A potted history of regional institutions for the North created and destroyed by the Westminster parties since 1997. Background reading for Options for Regional Devolution in the North.